Don’t try to keep your septic system too “clean”

,
DON’T TRY TO KEEP YOUR SEPTIC SYSTEM TOO “CLEAN”
An onsite sewage treatment system or “septic system” is a very effective way to safely recycle household wastewater into the natural environment. A functioning soil treatment based onsite system will remove all pathogens and most of the nutrients contained in wastewater. The system must be properly operated, however.
A septic system is very dependent on millions of naturally occurring bacteria throughout the system.   We add many of these good bacteria through the waste typically found in wastewater.
The use of antibacterial or “disinfectant” products in the home can and do destroy good and bad bacteria in the treatment system. Excessive use of these products in the home can cause total destruction of the bacteria population.
The question is “what is excessive”? This question is being studied; the answer is not truly known.
What are the antibacterial products we are talking about? They can be hand soaps, bathroom cleaners, laundry bleach products and others. It also includes antibiotics that may be prescribed for medical treatment.
The professional advice is to reduce use of drain cleaners by minimizing the amount of hair, grease and food that goes down the drain.
Scrub more and use less cleanser.
Dispose of all solvents, paints, antifreeze, and chemicals through local recycling and hazardous waste channels.
Do not flush unwanted prescription or over the counter medications down the toilet.
The above information is taken from the University of Minnesota Onsite Sewage Treatment Program,www.septic.umn.edu

Pledge to Keep our water
Drinkable, Fishable, Swimmable

Pledge and Play!

Take the pledge and download our Clean Water BINGO. Play to help keep our water clean and you could win some great prizes — an iPad, a rain barrel, movies tickets and more!

MENU CLOSE